Thursday, January 19, 2012

Resolved to....

from Creating Clever

Resolutions...I usually have one or two in the back of my mind that I never fully commit to, like giving up sweets...really? like that lasts more than 24 hours. Another year, I tried to take a picture everyday and post it on a photoblog. I think I made it into February before that one fizzled out. This year I started out with a week of unlimited hot yoga for $10, which I succeeded at going 5 times...wow! However, I soon learned from the NY Times that yoga is dangerous (not really, but can be if you push yourself too hard) and that more specifically hot yoga gives you wrinkles (that depressing piece of information came from my brother who heard it from his friend who owns a non-hot yoga studio...maybe just trying to eliminate the competition?). Anyway, the reality is I don't have $15 to spend on a class with my Grad student budget. In fact, I don't have a lot of money to spend on anything right about now. This sad realization has led me to many brainstorm sessions...how can I save, or even earn a little cash in my life right now? Mostly, I've tried to think about how I can somehow sell things I already have...ridiculously overpriced textbooks I'll never read again, old clothes/shoes, or take my crafting to the next level and open an Etsy shop. The Etsy shop has been on my mind for some time and I may have some product in the works...the Grad school life just doesn't lend a ton of "extra" time for crafting.

So, my next money-saving thought was, why not commit to only buying used clothes for the next 6 months? I mean, I know I can get away with not buying clothes for 3 months or so, but then I get restless and dive head first into a shopper frenzy hopping from Nordstrom Rack, to DSW, and TJ Maxx. So the 6 month time frame will be a bit more of a challenge! You may be thinking...hmmm...what about the more personal stuff...like undergarments or swimsuits. I have the perfect solution. I can purchase "new" items with money earned from consigning my "old" items...pretty genius, huh? Luckily, I haven't purchased anything new this year...December was a different story :) I'll keep you all updated on how it turns out...in fact I made my first thrift purchase of the new year today...an adorable blue and white-ish striped dress. Crazy to think that I could be wearing it in the next few weeks here in San Diego (the Washington winter would never allow this!).  I also posted a picture of another thrift steal from a few months ago, Stuart Weitzman pumps. And we're talking maybe worn once, Nordstrom tag still intact, made in Spain, classier than ever, probably from the 90's heels. I LOVE them so much and guess what...only cost me $6.99...incredible I know! 

So it's possible, I'm a believer, sold on the idea that I can thrift it for at least the first half of the year to reduce financial stress! Who knows...maybe it will become a way of life!? very unlikely :)







 ...pretty hot, I know :)

2 comments:

Lindsay Soetaert said...

This is so awesome...I'm not so brave to do this yet, but I definitely should! Post more great finds and I'll be inspired!!

The Arizona Russums said...

I say buy secondhand for six months and then work on your Etsy shop over the summer. That can be your second half six month goal! I want to market your products!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...