Sunday, January 22, 2012

A little culture











































My Thursday night class, Schools in a Pluralistic Society, is turning out to be much better than expected. Last week we wrote a cultural autobiography, describing our ancestry and how it influences our lives. My mom grew up on a dairy farm in South Dakota and consequently, grew up in a home of early mornings, frequent baking, gardening, sewing and 4-H. After moving away from home and out to Washington, she kept quite a few of these traditions/hobbies. Even though she's a little too old for 4-H we always went to the fair and walked through the livestock and craft/quilting exhibits. She definitely is not an early riser these days...preferring to sit in bed and read while sipping on her morning latte...so spoiled :) However, she passed on to me the desire to keep up with some of the family culture, which has led me to container gardening, baking (in fact, last night I made these delicious cookies!), and sewing. A few years ago, I was fortunate enough to receive a sewing machine at Christmas. I don't consider myself a serious seamstress, but I've dabbled in making tote bags, quilts, kitchen accessories and APRONS, lots and lots of aprons.

Just when I thought I was through with aprons, I found a pattern I couldn't resist...in fact half of the fabric pieces had already been cut out. Where did I find this half-started gem? At Grandma Hoogestraat's farm house in South Dakota this past summer. The fabric is beautiful and I bought a little ruffle at JoAnn's for 50% off. It's a bit "old fashioned," or maybe I should say "vintage," has a better connotation. :) The directions were a bit difficult to follow, but like I said I've made my fair share of aprons, so I was able to piece it together and improve it a bit here and there. I love it, not because of the vintage design, but      because of where it came from. A half started project from my Grandma that I was able to finish...keeping the family tradition and culture alive!



2 comments:

The Arizona Russums said...

It's so cute! I love that stitching! And I like the new font on your header!

bekah said...

Thanks! I'm excited to see what creations you come up with using your new machine!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...