A holiday favorite! The maraschino cherries give the macaroons a festive look and this year I added some white chocolate chips because I didn't have enough semi-sweet and they were delicious!
1/2 c. chopped maraschino cherries
1/8 t salt
3/4 c. sugar
2 t vanilla
1/3 c. flour
2 c. flaked coconut
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Extract as much juice as possible from the chopped cherries ( I use a strainer and spoon and then paper towels)
2. Grease baking sheets (they are pretty sticky if you skip this step) and preheat oven to 325 degrees
3. Beat eggs and salt until light
4. Beating constantly @ medium speed add sugar 1/4 c. at a time, beating well in between additions
5. Beat until thick, pale ribbons form (around 5-10 min)...gets a little exhausting!
6. Fold in vanilla, flour, coconut, chocolate chips and cherries!
7. Bake 15-19 minutes or until golden brown, cool on racks
I like them a few minutes after they come out of the oven, but they'll keep fresh for a few days or you can freeze them for later. Watch out...they go fast!