Thursday, December 07, 2006

Update of the month

It's been way to long since my last post...almost a month! So much good has happened since then! Thanksgiving was a treat...Luke and Kendra were with us and then I had 2 1/2 days off because of snow the week after...and to top it off Malia was here visiting! I got to spend some quality time with her and other friends and now I am back in to the 10 hour school days! aaghh! Lucky for me...only 6 more school days until Christmas break! I'm lovin' this new schedule! The long hours of teaching pay off when I get to the breaks!
So...yesterday at chapel a pastor came and spoke to us about his ministry in Nigeria. It was absolutely phenomenal! I guess that in Nigeria, there is an extremely high incidence of paralytic polio. He showed a video of so many disable men, women, and children walking around on their hands and crippled legs...they looked like primates...their bodies had adapted to their disability and their backs curved down and they wobbled from side to side...it was truly devastating. They are outcasts in society, the children aren't sent to school, and they are never higher than anyone's waist. Can you imagine what it would be like to live life on that level? How degrading, frustrating, and humiliating would that be!? One of them had to pick up her leg in order to scoot along on her bottom in order to move....seriously. The first thing that went through my head was why don't they have access to the polio vaccine? that is a whole other story that I don't have enough info on yet. However, this pastor has a ministry where he makes these modified wheelchairs that are tough enough for the roads and terrain there. They have 3 bicycle wheels and they pedal the chair with their hands...it's truly amazing to see the difference it makes! Today they have made over 1200 chairs for the disabled of Nigeria...given them a new perspective on life and hope for a better life, for education, and dignity. I started to think...wow...this presentation really moved me...maybe I should look into a career in public health...specifically international public health, but then...last week I wanted to open my own bakery...so really who knows where God will lead me next...just as long as he leads and not me, it'll be okay.

1 comment:

rwalk said...

Some good stuff to think about. Keep looking and exploring.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...